successful admissions


of students enter the university of their choice


students consult Education Index when applying for universites

  • 17487

How to stay in the U.S. after studying at the University

According to Forbes, about 70% of foreign students studying in USA, plan to stay in this country for permanent residence.

The standard scheme of immigration to the United States after training as follows: student – internship about a year – working visa for 3-6 years – a residence permit, the so-called Green Card – citizenship. In this article we will examine the possibility of obtaining work experience in the first three stages of this journey.

Types of student visa in USA

If you plan to stay in USA after training in order to work on a specialty, you should take this into account at the stage of choosing a program. Depending on the program student visa are of two types: F-1 and J-1, and they largely determine the prospects of your future employment. Most full-time students receive the status of F-1 and J-1 are mainly issued to students who are on exchange or similar programs.

Most visas J-1 limit the ability of students to work during and after study. For example, even to work on campus need a separate permit, while students visas F-1 do not need it. The General rule applicable to all foreign students on campus are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week during semester and full time during vacations.

Most visa holders J-1 required to return to their country immediately after graduation for at least two years. For those to whom this requirement does not apply, there is a possibility to go the standard route of immigration via academic training.

However, the easiest and most common type of internships for graduates – Optional Practice Training – are available only for holders of F-1. Students with J-1 does not satisfy the conditions of academic probation, but eligible to leave the country, is to apply for a work visa immediately after graduating from American University.

Work visa in USA

For work visa you need a valid job offer and the willingness of the employer to pay about $1500 for the clearance of Your documents. That is why internship is a great opportunity not only to find suitable work, but also to find a sponsor for Your future employment.

Working visa for professionals (H-1B) is issued for three years with possibility of extension to six years. To extend your visa only once, but if you plan to stay in the US longer, then apply for a Green Card making, you can the next day after receiving H-1B.

The procedure for the submission and consideration of applications for a work visa in the United States has very important features: deadlines and quotas. Enrolment starts on the first of April of each year and visas are issued in October. Accepting applications lasts until the quota is fulfilled, and in different years of this period was 300 days or 3 days.

To predict in advance how much you will have time, so it is important to have ready the documents for the reception. If You fail to fit into the quota, you will have to wait until next year. However, certain categories of professionals subject to special conditions. So, for a graduate course or graduate school there are extra quota, and wish to work in universities or other nonprofit organizations can apply year-round.

About the internships in the US for graduates of American universities, please click here. On scholarships and grants to study in USA here.