The advantages and disadvantages of studying in Singapore
Studies at the universities of Singapore is the opportunity to live and study in one of the best, according to the compilers of the QS student cities in the world to obtain profession, to participate in large scientific research, which, without exaggeration, can change the world, and, of course, to plunge into the unique culture mix of Asian and European flavor. Can this training and a vibrant cultural experience to be flawed? Consider everything is in order.
Advantages of studying in Singapore
- Training in universities and polytechnics is conducted in English, which broadens the choice of countries for those students who want to study English.
- Quality education diplomas are recognized in many countries, universities occupy high positions in prestigious international rankings. For example, two of Singapore's University — Nanyang technological University and national University of Singapore — are in the top 20 best universities in the world, according to QS, 11th and 15th places respectively. To see the positions of all the universities of Singapore in the rankings here.
- The relatively low cost of studying and living, especially in comparison with North America and the UK.
- A wide range of learning options, items, and programs. You can take as a standard the program is a three — year bachelor and two-year master studies and to combine these levels, taking a “pass-through” program. You can also:
- to reduce the training time, taking a more intensive program and thus save tuition and faster to go to work;
- to complete a second specialty (major) instead of the additional (minor);
- to get a double degree — for example, Singapore's public and private foreign if the universities cooperating in such a way;
- take a semester at another University on an exchange.
- The transparency of the admissions process. Admission requirements are clearly specified for each program, you can accurately evaluate your current level of knowledge and create a program training. Information about admissions requirements can be found on the websites of the universities, and if something is unclear - ask the representatives of Singapore universities.
- A bilingual population, 75% speak English, so domestic difficulties should arise. In addition to English, a very common Chinese language, and life in Singapore — an excellent opportunity to learn at least at a basic level this popular language. Two other official language of Singapore, Malay and Tamil, are quite rare, and specialist who owns it gets an additional competitive advantage, so in those languages you can look at and take advantage of the opportunity to learn and practice them while receiving a higher education.
Disadvantages of studying in Singapore
To the relative disadvantages and difficulties that await future student in Singapore include:
- The lack of large blocks of practice, as provided, for example, all programmes of universities of applied Sciences, the Netherlands, programmes Co-op in Canada and many programs in Britain and the United States. Practice in most programs is optional or not provided at all. Universities can offer a choice of internships, the student's task — in time to apply in the interest of his company. This should be done in advance, not less than six months.
- Universities do not approve of the work off-campus. By law, students while studying can work part-time, but in most cases, jobs are limited to the campus. If you choose the work yourself, you can face a situation where the institution does not approve your chosen workplace, as your main task at this stage is to apply in University classrooms the knowledge, not to earn money. If program administration determines that a vacancy will not help you to raise the competence in the chosen specialty, the job is not you approve.
- High competition: for foreigners the universities of Singapore provide not so many places as the local population is also highly interested in higher education, and the state makes every effort to maintain this interest and nurture highly skilled professionals.
- The inability to enter universities in Singapore immediately after the Russian school. Read more about the entrance requirements of the universities, read the guide “How to enter the University of Singapore.”
- Cultural characteristics of the country for some students can be a definite hindrance to effective learning and cause difficulties during adaptation. Despite the fact that the culture of Singapore was formed under the strong influence of the West, the way of life traits and traditions of several Asian cultures, including Chinese and Malay. Before you make a decision about studying in Singapore, I advise you to learn more about the country and its features and, if possible, to visit it, to decide how exactly you will be comfortable to live here a long time.
Remember in any case that advantages and disadvantages are relative concepts, and that will be taken to your list is ultimately depends on you. Professionally working in the field of foreign education, we can say that education in Singapore is a worthy choice and an investment in your future life and career. If you close this country will make every effort to enroll in a prestigious Singapore University and obtain marketable skills — we will provide necessary support for choice of University, program and admission.